Let us help you start something new!

Let us help you start something new!

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Super Supper - Ramping up an old favourite

Years ago my Dad used to make us steak dinner that he'd called "Swiss Steak."  I never knew why it was swiss (because it didn't have the cheese with the holes in it anywhere in it) but I never argued.  I just knew we liked it.  

Essentially Dad would be a fairly inexpensive cut of steak and pour a can of whole tomatoes over the top and then they'd cook in the oven.  The result was always the most tender piece of steak.  He was always so proud of how it turned out and would joke that he was Chef Boyardee.  

He always knew how to make us laugh.  

This past week, I decided I was going to amp up that favourite dish a little bit and see how it turned out. 

I didn't have whole tomatoes, so I figured diced would have to do the job.  They were easier to spread out across the top of everything anyhow.  

I took my ceramic slicer and sliced up two small onions very thinly and layered them over top,  then sliced two oblong peppers, one red - one green, and arranged them over top. 

I contemplated adding cheese but thought that might have been pushing my luck.  

I sprinkled one of my new favourite go-to's on next.  Epicure's "SPG" seasoning.  It's promited for oven fries, but I've tried it in a few days -- most recently across a roast going into the crockpot..  AH-MAZING to say the very least. :) 

In any case, it doesn't look like a whole lot here, but just wait.. 




In about 45 minutes out comes this.  



Hubby loved it!  I had to grind mine up of course, but I joked that the vegies on top came out looking much like salsa - it's all good! 

I made a side of sweet potatoes  since the toppings were more condiment than dinner..  

Needless to say this is one I'll definitely try again! 

Have you tried something new lately?  I'd love to hear about it!  Send me a comment :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment